Instructions For Use - Etymotic ER4
Important: Sound quality, full bass response and noise isolation all depend on a good eartip seal in the ear canal. See a video demonstration of how to get a proper fit in the Earphone Insertion Video
- While pulling up and out on the back of the ear carefully insert the earphone.
- Twist the earphone into the ear canal while inserting, until outside noise is blocked out.
3-flange eartips: Moistening eases insertion.
Foam eartips: Roll down or compress foam eartip before inserting. Hold the eartip in place for about 5 seconds while the foam expands to create a tight seal in the ear canal.
Remove earphones slowly with a twisting motion to gradually break the seal. Do not pull on the cable to remove the earphones.
Attaching the Clip
Shirt clip attaches to the splitter cable.
Using the Slider
Slider is used to snug the cable under the chin to help secure the earphones.
- Grab the body of the earphone.
- Pull the cable connector away from the earphone body. Do not twist. Pull straight out to prevent damage to the key tab.
Note: Do not pull or twist from the cable connector. It's important to pull straight out.
Note: If the key tab is not aligned with the notch, snap will not engage.
- Align the key tab with the notch in the body of the earphone and cable connector.
- Press together until you feel it snap in.
Etymotic earphones have special filters that smooth the frequency response and prevent earwax from entering the earphones. A filter is located at the end of the earphone and is visible when the eartip is removed. If a filter becomes clogged, it should be replaced. A dirty filter will reduce earphone output. The filter should be changed if loudness decreases or the sound quality declines.
Note:Filters are not reusable.
Note: Use the tool to remove the filter.
- Remove eartip.
- Insert tool into the filter.
- Remove filter and discard.
Note: Do not use the tool to replace the filter.
- Insert a new filter.
- Press gently against a hard surface to secure it in place.
- Re-attach eartip.
Cleaning and Replacing Eartips
Over time eartips may lose their elasticity. For best performance and retention, replace 3-flange eartips every 60-90 days. Replace foam and glider eartips frequently.
To clean 3-flange eartips:
- Remove the eartip from the earphone.
- Clean with water and mild soap.
- Dry the eartip before placing it back on the earphone.
- Do not expose the earphones to extreme temperatures.
- Avoid dropping and strong impact.
- Leave eartips on the earphones for shock protection.
- Do not pull on the cord to remove the earphone from the audio device or the ear.
- Clean or replace eartips prior to use by others.
- For best performance and retention in the ear, replace 3-flange eartips every 60-90 days.
- Replace foam eartips frequently.